Friday, November 13, 2009

thankful friday - LATU FAMILY

So, it's supposed to be "thankful THURSDAY", but I had a busy day yesterday and didn't make it to blogging, soooo here we are today:)


This week (and for the last four years) I am very thankful for my in-laws, the Latu Family. I still remember when I first heard about the Latu's. In 2005, I came down for a semester at BYU and my very first night in Utah my cousin told me about the Latu family (. . . AND she tried to set me up with Wayne, but we'll talk about THAT later). She told me about an amazing Tongan family of talented musicians and scholars, but the coolest thing about them was they were also totally friendly, fun and sweet. The thing that caught my attention was the fact that there were 7 GIRLS and only one boy - I'd never seen a family like that! I immediately wanted to meet them. My second day in Utah, I got hired at the Student Honor's Association. I think I only got hired because the director is my moms friend, but that job literally changed my life ( . . . it's where I met Wayne!). I didn't know it when I got the job, but the Latu family had all either worked there or was working there - and that is how I first met and became friends with the Latu's! I liked them immediately. I was initially impressed with their beauty - they are all GORGEOUS! - but the thing even more impressive about them is their beauty on the inside. I observed as they served, befriended, included and loved so many people in need. It really was, and now is, inspiring to watch. They are such great examples of Christ.

Fast forward a few years to the present time and this family still doesn't cease to amaze me. Over the years, they have been there to help and support in every big event in our marriage - including our wedding, moving (four times), baby births, parties etc. Malia and Kina LOVE their aunties (Malia greets each of them by name whenever she's sees any of them) and they are absolute BLESSINGS in my life. They have this funny way of making it seem like I'm doing them a favor by letting them watch the girls. I so appreciate their love for Malia and Kina and their ever willingness to sacrifice their time in helping me. I love my sisters! I know I'm very blessed and lucky.

My parents-in-law are also especially awesome. Malia and Kina LOVE them. My father-in-law spends his only day off in the week with his granddaughters. Every Friday he plans an activity for them to do and does it with them. I feel the girls get so many rich experiences that they wouldn't otherwise get because of him. My mother-in-law is always available and excited to see her grand-kids. She takes joy in cooking for them, playing with them and just being with them. I know anytime they are at her house they will always come home fed and happy - it's such a comfort as a mother. I love to see my girls interact with their Papa and their Gramma and am so grateful to have such a strong support system. They also do that funny thing and make it seem like I've done them a wonderful favor because I let them watch the girls. Oh, the pampered life I live, huh. :)

Okay, I've written more than I was planning to, but I still haven't scratched the surface in describing all ways the Latu family has blessed my life. I'm so grateful to have married into such a great family. So . . . Dad, Kalo, Leo, Melba, Kina, Nia, Sili, Kika, Vai and Ti - Thank you! I love you all soooo much.

5 comments:

hine.T said...

What an awesome tribute & blessing!

Line said...

Awww, mary, what a beautiful tribute to your in-laws! The Latus really are an amazing family, but I think they're just as lucky to have you. :)

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

I like this post... funny how everybody knows about the "Latu Family". Le'o was the first "Latu" I met when I came out here to BYU. I like to call them the "Super BYU Family" cuz they're in all the pictures, commercials, events and all dat related to BYU.
Cute post.

Inouyes said...

*Tear* Love it Mary and you are an amazing person yourself you fit in to the great family I have one word to describe the LATU family FUN!

Sibbett_Ohana said...

Too sweet!!! Loved that!!!