Tuesday, February 08, 2011

a trip to the ER. . . again

Last summer, we went to D.I. (our local thrift store) to buy some cutting knives for our house.  While walking into our house with the bare knives in shopping bags, Kina grabbed at them and sliced her finger.  Of course, we went straight to the ER and got her all fixed up.  I had hoped it would be our last ER trip in a while. . . but it wasn't. haha

Last night, after the kids had been bathed and pajama'ed, we were all sitting around the living room while Malia and Kina ran around giggling.  Suddenly, Kina tripped on something and ran head first into the entertainment system and started crying.  After looking at her head, Wayne said we needed to go the emergency room.  Kika came over to stay with Malia and Tali (Thank you Kika!) and Wayne and I headed to the hospital.
Kina - slightly accident prone, but very brave.

Daddy and the TV helped calm her down before the stitches began.

The nurses were so sweet.  They gave her treats, coloring books, little toys and stickers.

Before she got her stitches they gave her a shot that "turned off her brain" so she wouldn't feel the pain.  It was the saddest thing for me to hold her then. She was looking up at me, but there was nothing behind her eyes - no recognition.  It was kinda creepy.  BUT it helped her stitches go smoothly - all FOUR of them. She was awake the whole time, but handled it very well.

As soon as she heard where we were, Grandma Vai came.  This is them after the ordeal.

I'm hoping this will be our LAST trip to the ER for a while!


*Something I want to remember - It took Kina a few minutes to shake the effects of the drug and she kept looking around attempting to focus.  We kept trying to talk to her, but we could tell she just wasn't there yet.  When she finally could talk again, the very first words out of her mouth were, "Where's Malia?"  Oh, I love my sweet little Kina.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow, Mary! Those kinds of things are so scary! I do not know how I would be able to deal with those kinds of things. I guess you kinda just have to, huh? And thank goodness for family that lives so close. That is such a huge blessing. Love Kika! lol. Hopefully Kina is feeling better by now!

mom said...

Hi Mary,
What a sweet post!!! Yes, I agree.. she is such a sweet little girl! Even though she had a rough time... she looked very beautiful! I can't wait to see you guys!!! Love, Mom

Line said...

Awww, so cute that she was asking for Malia! Looks like Kina has a very great support system. :)

Ceeu N Uila said...

aww so sweet! gotta love sisterly love... :)