Tuesday, April 07, 2009

General Conference - past and present


Saturday and Sunday was General Conference! I loved it!

Since we've been married, Wayne and I have made it a tradition to go to Temple Square in Salt Lake City to listen to conference with Waynes family. We've never actually been inside the conference center for conference - we've always just watched it from the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and we like it that way. We usually bring some food to eat at halftime (as Wayne calls it) and make it a day event. It gives me a peaceful feeling to walk the grounds, see the temple and just be there. Sometimes, when I watch from home I get just a leetle too comfortable on the couch in my pajamas with my blanket and pillow. Lots of people can do it, I'm just not one of them.:) I end up studying the back of my eyelids. lol. Going to Temple Square makes us feel a part of it all. We come home exhausted but spiritually uplifted. When it was just the two of us it was simple and we'd go up both days, all four sessions. Since Malia and Kina have joined our family we go up just once, either Saturday or Sunday. Still, it makes conference for us! We love this tradition and hope to keep it up for as long as we are living close enough to drive there.:)

Since I had so much fun walking down the luau memory lane, I thought I'd go for gold and take a trip down the general conference memory lane too. It's a pretty long lane so be prepared. lol.

October 2006

I get the plugging of ears and covering the mouth so
they won't hear or speak evil. . . but shouldn't Sili be closing
her eyes instead of making glasses that help you see BETTER
?


This conference was extra special because Titi came up
from Hawaii. It was so nice to have her here.
Me, Sili, Nia, Kalo, Titi, Leo, Tali, Sarah


Love my husband


lol. I just HAD to put this one on here.
Our claim to fame. he he


April 2007
  • We were pregnant with Malia
  • There were 12,868,606 members and 124 temples in operation
  • The Salt Lake Tabernacle was rededicated and a session was held there

Nia, Sili, me and Tali


DEEEE-Ner!Hey, we needed our energy
for the second session okay? lol


Wayne and the guys


us

October 2007
  • We were brand new parents!
  • President Faust had recently passed away. We loved him.
  • Sister Julie Beck gave an amazing talk entitled "Mother's Who Know"

Nia, Sili, Kika, Kina and me. I love this pic.


Nick, Sione, Wayne, Matt, Sete, Mark, Jason, Junior.




What is Wayne looking at?
April 2008
  • Our beloved prophet, President Gordon B. Hinkley, had passed away
  • President Thomas S. Monson was sustained as our new prophet. He's been one of my favorite speakers for as long as I can remember.

We sat outside for the second session and loved it. They
play the audio on loud speakers so you can hear everything.
It was Sweeet!



Can you believe how small Malia is!?!
They grow so fast.



Kika, Nia, Aaron Atiig, Wayne, Sili, Kina.
These pictures were the beginning of a long tradition of JUMPING pictures.

October 2008

Feeding the masses. . .


Everybody Jump! Jump!

April 2009
  • Total members is 13,508,509 and there are 128 temples in operation
  • Elder Neal Anderson was called as an Apostle
  • Loved the talks! I feel inspired to be better.

This year Kina made musubi, Nia brought homemade bread
and Kalo brought a TON of Costco goodies. YUM!!



Malia pointed at this tiny statue of Brigham Young
and said "BABY". Then she gave him a kiss:)


Tali and Malia, Sili and Kina - it was SUCH a pretty day!



Sam, Tali, Nia, Kina, Wayne and Kika
Gotta love the jumping pictures. he he.

Whew! See, I told you it would be a long trip. lol. Truly, I have thouroughly enjoyed the experiences we've had at general conference. Best of all, we get to listen to the prophets voice and strenghten our testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Chirst. We are so grateful for Conference!!!!

10 comments:

Vika said...

Great pictures and love the tradition!

Line said...

What a great tradition. Saia and I need to start something like that. We used to go to conference all the time, but since the babe came along, we thought we had to stay home, but you guys have taught us better. :)

It's funny cause the talks you mentioned were the ones that were very memorable for me too (Elder Bednar's talk about offensiveness and Sister Beck's talk about "Mothers Who Know :)

Ipo said...

I Love You Guys!!! Thanks for making me smile!

Andrea said...

You guys are so cute! I should start the tradition of going, I'm one who studies my eyelids!

Tarawhiti Girl said...

You guys are so funny. I keep thinking "hmm I wonder what everyone is thinking watching you guys doing the jumping pictures" Hilarious!!! I love you family tradition and love it more that you continue to do it even with the kids. They will always remember conference as a family event and their aunty's jumping taking pictures. You guys are such great examples of family love, its beautiful.

Leise said...

I love this post, Mar! So true, just being there really does make you feel a part of it. I always wanted to go during conference time because I'm like you with the comfy couch and the eyelids...or even if I'm not sleeping, I end up doing a puzzle or worrying more about my tv munchies, etc. but Duran doesn't like to go unless we have tickets...and we don't have a lot of friends like you guys, so it probably wouldn't have been as fun for us. And it's good you actually keep a record of the memorable talks, the numbers, the "in" jump poses for that particular conference, etc. Oh, and no for real- DEEEEEEEEENNNNNRRRRRRRR!!!! Whaaaaat post a blog on Mary's blog already! Lol!

Melissa said...

I love love love this post. What good memories. I love that your family does this. I remember seeing you guys there one day. That was so fun. I am going to miss you guys so much. Let's get together sometime soon.

Ku'uipo Photography said...

Of course you guys would have this wonderful tradition, how else is Wayne going to be called as a 12 apostle and you as the General Primary President in 2055???...tee!hee! WE LUV YA!!

Kassie said...

What a fun tradition. You guys are all so beautiful!

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

I love your posts that reminisce on the same events from the past... they're great!