Saturday, August 06, 2011

i heart glen lake

Ever since I was a little girl, my family has been visiting Glen Lake in the summertime.  It's one of my most favorite family traditions.  My great great grandfather, Wade Fetzer, started the tradition and actually built one of the three houses that we stay in on the lake.  Glen Lake is near Lake Michigan - it's much smaller in size and very clean and beautiful.

Part of the reason I love Glen Lake so much is all the memories I have there.  Fortunately, since nothing really changes there and since we always do the same things while we're there . . . EVERYTHING brings back memories! I love it.  My favorite things to do at Glen Lake are swimming, boating, water skiing, tubing, hiking Sleeping Bear Dunes, eating at Joe's Friendly Tavern, visiting with family, competing in the annual Clam Derby and eating lots and lots of cherry pie (it's cherry country up there) . . . and this trip we got to do ALL of that and more!  I had so much fun watching the girls experience all these things that are so close to my heart.  Even with all the activities I enjoy so much at Glen Lake, the biggest reason it is so special to me is because of the relationships with my family that are formed there.  It's really all about FAMILY!

Anyways, I could go on and on about how much I love this place. . . but I'll just share some pics instead.  Unfortunately, because I was taking pictures with Tali's camera for the majority of the time most of my pictures are with her, so I'll have to add them later.  Here are the few I have.

Kina jumping on the new-this-year water trampoline.  I know this is gonna be a favorite for many years to come.

Cousin Suzie, Tali and Amalani, Malia and Kina sitting on the dock after a morning of swimming.  The weather was gorgeous while we were there.

The winners of the clam derby!  My great grandfather started this tradition - every year we hold a 24-hour long clam race (cause clams don't more very fast).  Each clam has a number painted on it and each person has a clam.  It gets pretty competitive! Haha This year the winners were Amalani (first), Malia (second) and Uncle Chris (third). 

Malia LOVED the lake.  She'd put on her arm floaties and be totally and happily independent for hours in the water.
Kina was much more cautious.  She liked to either be held or pulled around on her "princess raft" (pictured here) of course, with her life jacket securely fastened at all times.'

Tali loved the water too . . . as long as it wasn't too cold.  I think she was happier in the water than on land - poor thing - she fell down a LOT this week. Still trying to get the whole walking thing down pat. :)

Gramma Peggy, Aunt Judy, Uncle Chris, mom and cousin Suzie.  I LOVE these people.

The girls with my cousins Sam and Jack.  They are much younger than me so I think the girls related well with them.  They thought they were very cool . .  and the boys were so sweet with them.  Again, it was so fun to hang out with our family.

Our family!  I'm soo happy Wayne could be there with us.  We had more fun because he was there.

Another great year at Glen Lake!  Big thanks to Gramma Peggy (who makes it all possible), my mom (who helped me a TON with EVERYTHING while we were there), Uncle Chris and Aunt Judy (who spoiled me and the kids and made everything fun) and Wayne (who had to work, but came back and forth to be with us there).  

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Dang, that sounds like so much fun!! I wish we had a family tradition like that. lol. Looks like were gonna have to start one! haha! But you are so right, it really is all about family! That's so good that you have such good relationships with all of your family, extended family, and in-laws - that is so important. Glad u guys had so much fun on your trip. And you look GREAT!!! You rock that swimsuit!!

P.S. When are u gonna blog about the biggest loser challenge??? lol. As far as working out goes, looks like I won't see you for another 6 weeks...

Line said...

SO fun! you guys make such great use of your flt benefits :). and you look great!