Friday, July 11, 2008

HAWAII TRIP - an angel on the airplane

Remember how I smugly wrote about the fun and stress-free flight to Hawaii a couple weeks ago? I will now try to put into words the experience of my flight back to Utah . . . alone (Wayne had left a week before for school) . . . with Malia . . . and a diaper bag . . . and a stroller. . . and a very pregnant belly. These pictures were taken when Tali, Mata and Sili dropped me off at the airport. It was the last time that night Malia and I were smiling.
The 6 hour non-stop Delta flight from HNL to SLC was at 9:45 pm- past Malia's bedtime. Thus, she was tired and this caused her to be very cranky. She was already crying when we got into the security line and I knew it would be a long night. When we got into the boarding area I tried to let Malia play around as much as possible to tire her out. I had to go to the bathroom during the wait and with no one to carry her I had to juggle her inside the small stall while I did my business. . .that was fun. Getting my stroller checked in at the gate while I held a squirming baby, her overstuffed diaper bag, my purse and my boarding pass was a challenge, but that was nothing compared to preparing a bottle of formula on the plane with negative space for legroom, a crying and hungry baby in my lap and glaring passengers on all sides. Trying to balance my food on my lap in front of Malia while eating with my right hand and holding my drink with my left hand was also quite an experience. Honestly, I was THIS CLOSE to breaking down the entire flight and the mean looks from everyone around me wasn't helping the situation. Not even the stewardess was on my side - turns out there wasn't one free pillow or blanket on the entire flight that they could spare for me to prop up my child. Go figure.

About 3/4 through the flight Malia had fallen asleep and I had to go to the bathroom again. I had been waiting a good hour because I was hoping the urge would just go away since I didn't see any way the feat would be possible. Finally, I couldn't hold it any longer and I made my way to the itsy bitsy bathroom prepared to hold my 20 something pound baby while I relieved my full and squished-to-small-size bladder. The woman before me came out of the bathroom and glanced at me before starting to walk back to her seat. Then, as I was scooching my way past the folding door she turned back to me, smiled and asked "Would you like me to hold your baby for you?" I swear, I heard a choir singing from the heavens. Malia slept in her arms for the time it took me to get in and out and when I took her and thanked her she said, "No, it was my treat". I will NEVER forget that lady (haole, blonde shoulder length hair, black blouse, string of pearls) - it may seem like a small thing she did, but it was HUGE to me. I got back to my seat and broke into tears from the gratitude I felt.

By the end of the flight, Malia had cried a lot and slept a little and I was in tears from relief and exhaustion. . .But I will never forget the angel I met on the airplane.

4 comments:

Megs said...

I seriously teared up just a little bit when I read this. I am so sorry about the flight. It is the worst flying alone especially when people are not sympathetic. I am so glad you made it home. If I ever see that lady I will give her a hug an a kiss for you :) Seriously though, I have had people save me like that and it makes me hope I am that thoughtful to others.

Vika said...

Thanks Mary for making me cry... that is so sad for what you went through but that was so nice of that lady. God bless her soul... Yes, we are glad you are both back.

Line said...

My eyes are watering too, Mary, because I know what it means to be touched by a total stranger willing to help you with your child... And I also know how it is to fly without ANY help from surrounding others, even the stewardess. Man, Delta stewardesses suck.

sarana said...

ditto on delta stewardess' there, let alone their bathrooms w/no changing tables! boo.....
you've made me relive my flight w/taiana last year from samoa (11p)-hawaii-seattle-salt lake(11a)...back to back flights! oh, but to have that 1 stranger lighten your load! def. heaven sent!

you flying solo on your next trip? glad you get to travel, esp. while you still have 1 baby! enjoy yourself!